Sunday, March 09, 2008

Bicycle Diaries the 3rd - 12 more weeks!

62 miles from Long Beach to Hacienda Heights!

Due to several reasons, my training didn’t go as well as last season, so far I have spent less miles on the wheels compare with the same period last time. The 62 miles ride I did on Saturday with my buddies Suzann and Khoa was the longest this year.

We met at the Marina in Long Beach, took the San Gabriel River bike path up to Whittier, then switched to the road and passed through some neighborhoods which I had no idea where we were.

The “fun” part of the day was climbing up Turnbull Canyon Road. It was about 2-3miles up hill, not the toughest but certainly made me realized I wasn’t in my top fitness level. The view from the top was nice despite covered by smog or air pollutant.

We didn’t get a map for this route, as a result we end up getting lost in Whittier. Thanks to the friendly people in the neighborhood, we were able to get back to the bike path after crossing a busy road with freeway entrances.

The last 10 miles of the ride was very hard for me, because we were heading towards the ocean, which mean headwind. My legs couldn’t go faster as I wished them would. I was very tired at the end of the ride and starving too, so we went to a restaurant on 2nd Street in Long Beach. I ordered a jambalaya crepes but it wasn’t as good as I thought.

Thank to day light saving time, I lost an hour sleep and Sunday’s training. Well, I guess I’ll train harder in the coming week. I did a spinning class and a yoga class too.

No comments: