Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bicycle Diaries the 3rd - Bike to Train, Sunshire to Rain

Another record for this season, 75 miles ride from Irvine to Solana Beach.

The sky was dark and the alarm went off at the most undesired time. At 5 a.m. to be exact. While most people were still in bed enjoying their beauty sleep, or maybe having wonderful dreams, I had to get up and get ready for a training ride.

The Saturday morning fun ride was organized by Team OC. In fact I first did this ride back in 2006 when I was training for ALC 5. They organize this ride twice a year. I forgot why I didn’t join them last year.

I arrived at the Irvine train station shortly after seven. Some early birds already left to catch their fun. I met with Suzann, Khoa and George, picked up the route slips, pre-ordered our pizzas, did some stretching and hit the road around 7.30 a.m.

It was a little cold but not too cold. That was when I realized I forgot to bring my gloves. Great! They were still in my laundry bag. We didn’t wear gloves just because they looked great, they helped protect the nerves on the palms. Of course it won’t kill if you didn’t wear them, but you’ll get those sexy tan lines like I do.

We made a few stops along the coast, Mission Viejo, San Juan Capistrano, and at the beach near Oceanside. We had to detour and bike a few miles on the 5 freeway last time and we were lucky not to have to repeat that. Instead we went through Camp Pendleton Marine Co Base.

I felt great for the first 40 miles because we got tailwind for most part of it. However I started feeling tired and the legs just quit working with my mind. I started to fall apart from our group. It was ok, I always follow the “ride on your own pace” rule. I tried to concentrate, or should I say I tried not to pay too much attention on each stroke that I made, tried to forget the pain on my legs and hip. I keep telling myself, one mile at a time. That’s what helped me get through the last 10 miles.

We got to the pizza place across the street from the Solana Beach train station around 2p.m. It was crowded as usual. The pizza that we pre-ordered were ready, we just need to wait in line for 10-15minutes to pay! I am not a big pizza fan, yet the BBQ chicken pizza was so delicious.

Team OC rented a truck to ship our bikes back to Irvine, there’s only limited space on the train for bikes, and it definitely won’t fit all 53 bikes at once. After pizza and beers (for most of the riders, not me) we took the 3.33pm train heading to Irvine. The five tiring-hard working-sweating hours on the bike only takes an hour on the train. However, I have to admit those five hours were worth it.

I drove to my friend Catherine’s house in San Dimas after the ride. The clear sky turned into dark while I traveled north on the freeways. It rained by the time I got there. It was so refreshing. There were delicious food and snacks, plus wines and cheesecake. Of course everyone loves karaoke! It was nice to have a friends gathering after a day-long ride.

I got home before midnight and fell asleep in less than 30 minutes. I need more trainings so I will no be suffering during the June’s event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.